Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Benefit of Not Having Hair #6: Prep Time

I don't think I've ever been more exhausted than I am here at my MFA residency. It's not just the schedule; it's the emotional drain of sharing open wounds with each other. That's what writers do. We don't start with what we did over the weekend; we start with the traumas and tragedies in our lives, the things that drew us to writing and that we share in our stories. Don't get me wrong; I love it. But it's tiring. We're also putting ourselves out there. I've read my work in an official "reading" for the first time. I'm getting my work critiqued. The good news? Well, there's lots of good news. So I'll stick to the hair-related variety here. Since I don't have to wash my hair, I am able to get ready much faster than most. Which is good, considering how tired I am each day.

No comments: